Quote of the Day

Take a sprinkling of fairy dust,
An angel's single feather,
Also a dash of love and care,
Then mix them both together.
Add a sentiment or two,
A thoughtful wish or line
A touch of stardust, a sunshine ray...
It's a recipe, for a Baby Girl truly fine.
-- Author Unknown

Sunday, May 02, 2004

As April turns into May...

Have missed out on two days of blogging action already. I had gone shopping for my illusive working shoes on Friday, and was so tired out the entire day. Spent the entire late afternoon sleeping and then the better half of the night catching the last episode of "Xun Qin Ji" (this HK drama about a man going back in time to the Qin dynasty). For some reason or other, I was too groggy after that to blog, so I decided to go to bed.

Turns out the reason why I was feeling groggy the whole of the previous night was because I was coming down with flu. The first day in May brought on what must be my first bout of flu since February (and I had foolishly thought that my immunity was getting stronger). From the moment I woke up, I sneezed like every five to 15 minutes. It wasn't one sneeze, mind you. It was always a series of four or more--that spelt F-L-U. Hehe, like they always say, if you sneeze once, someone's scolding you; sneeze twice, someone dear's thinking about you; sneeze thrice, someone's thinking about you, but also scolding you; sneeze four times, you've fallen ill. Interesting, but totally unscientific, the way I see it. =)

Anyway, I was supposed to go see a doctor, but nooo, I was silly enough to think that some Panadol Cold tablets and Clarinase would do the trick. So I went ahead with plans to go check out my workplace with my boyfriend, who actually took the effort to drive all the way down to the ulu satellite town of Sengkang where I camp out to fetch me to Thomson, where my workplace is. I am so grateful to him. The moment I got onto his car yesterday, I knew that if we had taken the bus, I wouldn't have survived the trip. I was sneezing and coughing in the car, and getting a Rudolph for rubbing my nose incessantly with tissue. You should have seen the mountain of tissue paper that I had accumulated on the table at dinner. My thoughtful boyfriend actually packed the unsightly mess carefully into a clean piece of tissue to minimise its disgusting-ness, not least because we were in a restaurant. By then, my stubborn will had given way to the flu bug, and I decided to go to the doctor's. It was 9 plus at night. Talk about being "strong and not needing the doctor."

On the very first day of May, there was melodrama-mama at home too. Over reasons that I'm not disposed to discuss here, harsh words were exchanged, tears were shed, suitcases were packed and at one point in time, people came to blows too. It was all too much like a bad Channel 8 drama, only worse. (Thankfully, the action didn't happen within the confines of my immediate family.) So besides the fact that I was down with the "beginnings of flu" as the doctor had said, I was also too overwhelmed by the drama-mama to be in the mood for blogging. We had a family discussion late into the night. Coupled with the flu medication that caused drowsiness, I was soon sufficiently conked out enough to not care who I was, let alone blog. And conk off I did.

Today, I'm feeling much better. But the problems of yesterday (i.e., the family drama-mama) are still unresolved. I woke up to sounds of a family discussion that had become a little over-heated. Even as I type, the tension of yesterday still lingers in the air, even though the site of action had not been my house. Through this episode, I saw how easily negativity could be spread, and that people always tend to place a disproportionate emphasis on the negative aspects in life, compared to the positive aspects. I am now convinced that human beings are neurotic, however arguable this is. No wonder that neuroticism is one personality trait that keeps appearing and re-appearing in the various personality inventories.

So the new month brings new beginnings? Well, if my flu and family melodrama can be considered new beginnings, please fast forward the month to mid-May. I could do with less negativity in my life.

No comments: