It's the wee hours of Saturday morning, and in a few hours' time, I'd be up doing the laundry before trooping off to school. Meeting some insurance guy later. He kept calling me on my handphone to confirm our appointment. I think I'd either sue him for harassment, or get him to pay my phone bills.
It's been a tiring week. So tiring, I feel my eyes closing as I type. The sensible girl in me tells me I should just blow dry my hair so that I can hit the sack soon. But no, vanity wins out, and I sit in front of my computer, punching the keys on the keyboard with the fan blowing full blast at my head. I'm absolutely adamant that I don't blow dry my hair, because it just makes my hair dry(er) and tough(er). My hair though, is taking an awfully long time to dry, and I'm getting impatient.
I don't know since when it was that I started seriously taking care of my hair, or when it was that I became bimbotic or vain enough to seriously care. I suppose I began my downward spiral to vanity when I started wearing my hair long. I've accumulated some practical knowledge about how to take care of long hair, through personal experience and hair tips from hair stylists. My hair doesn't look terrific, but I think it's begun to actually feel nicer after all my efforts. Anyway, here goes:
Tip #1) Condition, condition, condition.
You can use either leave-in, or wash-off conditioner. (There was this period I used both! :b) For leave-in, I recommend using water-based ones because they are light and non-greasy to the touch, making them less messy to apply. And, be sure to apply conditioner only to your hair ends and not your scalp, or you'll get dandruff. Also, when washing off your conditioner (or even shampoo), dun let the suds run down your back, because the conditioner will clog your pores, and you'll get pimples! (Especially so for people like me who have very sensitive, acne-prone skin.)
Tip #2) Try not to blow-dry your hair.
Blow-drying your hair makes it tough and takes away the moisture. If you really have to, use a cool-air hair dryer. (Check out National.) Also, when blow drying, make sure you use a brush to guide your strokes (like how they do it in the salons.) For hair falling down the sides of your face, point your hair-dryer perpendicularly downwards to achieve that straight, neat look.
Tip #3) Go for regular trims.
This is recommended by hair stylists. Once every two or three months is apparently the gold standard if you want to take care of unruly split ends, and all those damaged strands. The regular trim will make sure your hairstyle stays in shape and your hair grows longer in a healthier way.
Tip #4) Put body moisturiser on your dry hair before sleeping every night.
Yes, that's right. BODY moisturiser works for hair too. After all, what's good for your body should be good for dead keratin and hair cells. This is very very very very effective for preventing bedheads and bad hair days. I think it's especially useful, though, for people with short hair. =)
Tip #5) Avoid tying your hair tightly with rubber bands.
The best way to tie up your hair is loose. Therefore, NO TIGHT RUBBER BANDS. Also, to avoid that ugly bump in the hair after tying it up, tie your ponytail low. I think the butterfly criss-cross clip (is that what they call it?) is really good for tying up long hair, because it doesn't leave an ugly bump in the hair, and it looks good even lower down one's head. Scroungees are not bad too, but I haven't found one that holds loose, and yet is tight enough to endure all my running around.
Yeps, that's about it... These five tips should help in protecting your hair from the stress of everyday life and the beatings it takes from various chemical services.
Now I'm going to bed cos my hair's dry already.
2 comments:
Yimei here, lazy to start an acct grin. hey it was fun reading through ur tips! i never quite knew abt the "dun let the suds roll down ur back 'cos there'll be pimples".. so then, how do u wash ur hair? :) hee
Hehe, you wash it like they do in shampoo ads... If your head tilted to one side! hehe... or you can wash your back with body foam again.
Post a Comment