Got my new specs today. My depth perception is a little screwed-up as of now, as is always the case with new specs. I hope I don't crash the car during driving tomorrow. I think I look like a witch in my new specs, cos it's kinda pointy at the edges. You know, those evil-looking witchy aunt-like characters in books, with bunned-up hair, and pointy specs, tight little dresses and pointy heels. Eeeeeeewwwww....
And today is the day I am convinced that our transport system is far from world-class. (Camera, roll, action: the "Complaint Queen" Singaporean...) The MRT ride I had from Boon Lay to Simei was filled with heart-stopping action; I should say 'brake-stopping,' cos our dear SMRT driver jammed (and released) the brakes so many times, I was afraid the bones of the old ladies on the train would be seriously rattled, even if their nerves were not. Then from Pasir Ris to Sengkang, I had another 'brake-stopping' ride, this time on a double-decker bus. The bus driver nearly had everyone on the bus killed, when he nearly turned right into the path of fast, oncoming traffic. Only he braked (hard) in time. The second time he tried to make the same right turn, he jammed his brakes hard again when he realised (luckily) that his bus couldn't beat a white car flying down the road. By that time, I was seriously entertaining thoughts on conspiracy theories..... I want to complain ah.....
Oh, and today is the day when I was reminded of my Dunman High days. Saw three Dunman High gals, probably about Sec 2 or 3, and suddenly, images of me in that white and blue uniform with metal buttons floated across my mind. I recalled how I always put in the metal buttons one by one the night before I went to school every day. Some friends of mine were too lazy to take em out; so they leave the buttons in there and wash their blouses, buttons and all. Then the metal buttons would turn black. Mine remained new and shiny simply cos I took care of em. Back then, the buttons were very special to me (cos they were the only things that made the uniform interesting apart from our very long blue skirts). It's kinda ironic tho, cos today, I don't even remember where they are now.
Back in Dunman High, I was a mega geek. Our skirts had to be below the knee, which just doesn't do it for short-legged people like me. I was scrawny and skinny, and had very bad acne on my face (yes, much worse than now, so don't complain to me about little pimples... I've seen them all...). I always had a couple of books in my hand, bounded together with a bright pink book band. I remember we couldn't leave our books in class. If we were found out, the books will be confiscated.
Up till today, I still don't understand the rationale behind why some rules had to be obeyed. I remember the school for its tough discipline, but that never WAS the point. The point was that I made fast friends (you know who you are! =) ) to keep for life there, and I blossomed there. My character was moulded there. I was able to develop my interest in singing there. In spite of the harsh disciplinary tactics, I was pretty well-adjusted. In fact, probably because of the tough discipline, I learnt to focus on my priorities in life. At the end of the day, the school gave me lots of things to take home. And these things definitely made me a much better person (or so I think lah...)
No comments:
Post a Comment