Sitting at my study desk in my apartment in Melbourne typing away on my laptop. It's 20 minutes past 12 midnight over here.
Been here for nearly a week now. Still trying to settle in. Spent lots of time, money and effort trying to make the apartment as comfortable as I can... A home away from home. Busy with things like household chores, cooking, banking matters, administrative matters associated with the apartment etc. Hardly had time to think... Or is it because I don't let myself?
Realised that I miss everything and everyone back in Singapore badly. I don't have any friends here yet (except for Clara, who is nonetheless staying quite far out), so I'm pretty much by myself when hubby goes to school. I'm sure things will get better when I start school of course.
Luckily I really like to cook and dream up new dishes to make for dinner, or try out baking mixes or recipes. Yep, just baked a batch of soft-chew double chocolate chip cookies using the Betty Crocker mix.
Luckily there is such a thing called the internet. Wonder how anyone managed the homesick pangs without facebook, skype or msn, back then when the internet has not yet been invented?
Luckily we brought the Little Nonya DVD set with us, so we still get a daily dose of something distinctly Singaporean. It's funny how being thrown into a country that's not your own that you start to wonder about who you really are and where you really belong.
Luckily my husband and I have each other here. Sigh.
Yeps, I'm slowly settling in.... But, it's still odd how everything around seems so familiar and so unfamiliar all in one instance.
1 comment:
Hey Jun Lin! Glad to know that you're settling in... Btw, I wish I was in Melbourne now cos the Australian Open is on NOW! It's held in Melbourne, so if you see Rafael Nadal, give him a BEEEEEEEEEEEEG hug for me! Hahahah.
Post a Comment