Fast forward to today. 15 years on, I find myself thinking hard about my children's names again. However, the thought processes are no longer carefree, but instead fraught with some amount of pressure. The difference is of course attributable to the fact that I'm now 37 weeks pregnant. I've officially reached the full term of pregnancy, and baby's head is apparently engaged. This means I might go into labour anytime now. Further, given that I have to officially name my baby daughter within 14-30 days after her birth as stipulated by law, it means that I have to come up with baby names. REALLY SOON.
Not that Hubby and I have not been thinking, but naming a baby is really serious business, and not the 'masak masak' activity of yesteryear. Names carry the blessings, virtues or qualities that parents wish for their children to have. If you believe in geomancy, the name also determines the child's future life development -- whether he/she will be blessed or not so blessed in life. Hubby and I have names we like, but we also have to respect the elders in the family, who may weigh in with their opinions; opinions that may at times conflict with ours. So naming a newborn is serious and a FAMILY business, or more precisely, an exercise in family politics. (I correct myself: having a baby in itself is sometimes an exercise in family politics -- choosing the name is but one of the many potential points of contention.)
I wonder what name my little girl will have eventually. For now, I'm just contented to call her 'baby' or 'Loi Loi,' which is literally 'girl girl' in Cantonese. I know for sure she responds to those names. (*Kick kick, turn turn*)
P.S. I thought I should update the look of my blog, since Blogger came up with new template designs. Love this new one with the grass and dandelions! =)
3 comments:
I'm loving the new design! As for naming the baby, my sis did up a list of names she liked and we took a vote! That's how my nephew got his name haha! Are you all excited yet?
I like the new design too! :)
Thanks for the positive feedback on the new design! =) Hehe, the naming thing is complicated cos the names CG and I really like do not necessarily go down well with our parents. Furthermore, there's the geomancy thing we have to consider... I think there's a little too much excitement in the house, haha! Everyone keeps their eye on me whenever I walk around in the house... =)
Post a Comment