In about two weeks' time, I would have spent nearly one year in Melbourne. It's been a really challenging year.
Although the year's not quite over, was just thinking about what I have learnt this year. I wonder whether I have grown as a person (physically, I'm hoping not much!)... I wonder whether, in my own words on Facebook, I have learnt to handle every setback and disappointment with grace and dignity. I wonder whether I have learnt how to effectively deal with being a fish out of water, being confronted by a different culture, being an outsider, etc.
I must say I have been simultaneously humbled and encouraged by the experience. Humbled because I have never, ever felt so humilated, insulted, looked down upon for what I have come to see as my strengths and abilities. Encouraged, because I think I have fought back like a soldier, as best as I could, in my own ways--remaining positive amidst the gloom, trying to consider situations from different perspectives, developing genuine relationships with people who truly appreciate my work and character, and striving to do my best academically. All this while being a supportive wife who took care of the little apartment we were living in, our meals, etc.
I imagine 2010 as a year laden with responsibilities, as well as immense joy. I imagine it as a year when I will continue to learn how to handle every setback and disappointment with grace and dignity. I imagine it as a year when so many good changes will take place, I will lose count of the bad.
1 comment:
jia you gal! :) treat our time tog in Dec as a bonus for a year well spent! :)
Post a Comment