Just watched "A Beautiful Mind" on Channel 5 just now--the second time since I got together with Guanz. Russell Crowe portrayed the schizophrenic John Nash, and at the Nobel Prize ceremony, Nash (as portrayed by Crowe) used "mysterious equations" to describe love, and most aptly I guess.
Watching the movie a second time made me realise two things--1) that there's always a fine line between a genius and a lunatic; and 2) that there's nothing more lasting than deep love. The movie will always have special significance for me because it combines the two interests in my life--psychology and love--and because I found the latter after I watched the movie the first time. That's right, "A Beautiful Mind" was the movie that brought me and Guanz together. Right after watching that together at Tampines Mall and while walking to the MRT station, Guanz suddenly held my hand and refused to let go.
It's been three years since, and counting. If there's anything I wish for, I wish to be able to have with Guanz the kind of relationship that Nash had with his wife Alicia--of enduring, lasting, and stoic love. Nash's schizophrenia had devastating consequences on his academic work and personal life; yet, in spite of his and her frustrations, she stood by him, and he, by her. Logically speaking, she should have taken off with another man when she could, but she didn't. So love is mysterious indeed--it needs neither logic nor proof. I hope to be Guanz' pillar of strength and stand by him when he needs me.
There's a certain beauty in the love between a man and a woman, or between any two people who were previously strangers for that matter. There are no ties of blood, so that which binds them is probably a certain kind of love that is no less wondrous than that between the parent and his/her child, perhaps even more wondrous.
Of course the evolutionary psychologists would have you believe otherwise, but where is the joy in life if everything is reduced to inclusive fitness?
For me, I'd rather be a hopeless romantic.
2 comments:
it's such a wonderful thing - that you've found the love of your life. this makes your story more of a faiytale than john nash's. sadly, in real life, alicia and john divorced after he went mad - although to her credit, she still took care of him. which leads me to make the generalisation that most human love is nothing more than obligation. what a cheery outlook!
If she still took care of him after she divorced him, I guess you can't quite call that obligation right, since technically, she isn't obliged to take care of him anymore. I don't think my story is a fairytale--we had our more than fair share of fights, ups and downs. The only reason why we're still together is because we put a lot of effort into this relationship, working on it together. We worked hard to get to where we are.
Post a Comment