Quote of the Day

Take a sprinkling of fairy dust,
An angel's single feather,
Also a dash of love and care,
Then mix them both together.
Add a sentiment or two,
A thoughtful wish or line
A touch of stardust, a sunshine ray...
It's a recipe, for a Baby Girl truly fine.
-- Author Unknown

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

My getaway break to Hong Kong

Way back in August, I remember screaming out loud on my blog that I need a break. Well, I'm getting my break exactly 12 hours later. Will be flying to HK tomorrow morning at 8 for a five-day hiatus from work. My colleagues keep telling me it's a well-deserved break because I have been working really hard for the past 6 months. Haha... More like a much-needed break because I'm really tired out. Looking forward to getting away from it all for a while, especially because Guanz and I haven't been spending that much time together ever since we started work. It's the first time I'm spending New Year's Eve on a foreign land too, so I guess this trip is extra special. =)

I have been on leave since 22.12.2005, but I have been working from home. In fact, I went back to office on 23.12.2005 for the entire day and ended up clearing some work. A very blurr colleague wanted my files for something, and dropped me an email while I was on leave. Actually, I've already given her one file for whatever it was she needed to do, but no, she finds out later that she actually needs to get four more files. Because of her blurrness, I ended up staying back in office much later than I was supposed to. Can't say I wasn't irritated with her at all. Sigh.

I found out that I'm actually quite a workaholic (or a worrywart, depending on one's perspective). Even as I type now, I'm thinking about the reports I have to work on when I get back, and whether my charges will do anything naughty when I'm away. Just wondering though, whether I'm a workaholic out of sheer necessity or character? That's something for me to reflect on.

Like I said, I have been screwing up majorly at work. Been getting scoldings for various things I did/did not do. But since that big break-down at work that alarmed my supervisors, I have learnt to take things in my stride and treat scoldings as a positive learning experience (or rubbish in-rubbish out types of advice, depending on who says it). But would I stay on in this job? That's another thing for me to reflect on. [Fortunately, I have less of a say over this, since my staying on would also depend on whether they want me.]

Whatever it is, I'm glad for this break. At least I have some time to myself to think about what I have done and where I'm headed in this job and for my life plans. That is, if I can stop thinking about the amount of work that's to be done when I get back from HK next week.

Happy holidays!

No comments: